Tony Macvean… should receive a lot of the credit for [Hall & Wilcox’s] development over the past seven years. The Hall & Wilcox of today is significantly different to what it was in 2007, when Tony became Managing Partner. There has been significant partner, staff and revenue growth, as well as a stronger focus of developing cross-practice client relationships and improving services and efficiencies for those clients. – Joel Barolsky, recognised thought leader and consultant to professional services firms
Tony has been the Hall & Wilcox Managing Partner since 2007. He is well recognised in the legal sector and has led the firm through a period of substantial growth and success.
Tony won Managing Partner of the Year at the 2015 Australian Law Awards and was a finalist in 2014 and 2016. He also won the Law Institute of Victoria Managing Partner of the Year Award in 2009.
Tony, as Managing Partner of Hall & Wilcox, is responsible for driving the firm’s strategy, leading the firm’s partners and staff, managing the firm’s relationships with its key clients and representing the firm publicly.
Tony is passionate about the firm, its clients and its people. During Tony’s tenure as Managing Partner, the firm has experienced considerable growth and success, including winning numerous awards and attracting a number of high-profile clients and lateral partners.
Tony practices as a corporate lawyer and has represented clients on many substantial merger and acquisition, capital raising and corporate transactions. He has also advised on the establishment and operation of numerous managed investment schemes and other collective investment vehicles.
Tony has great breadth and depth of expertise and a solutions driven approach that clients find invaluable. Tony is driving the firm’s focus on innovation and delivering “smarter law”.
Tony is recognised in Best Lawyers in Australia in commercial law and corporate law and a recommended M&A lawyer in Doyles’ Guide to the Australian Legal Profession.
- Acting for the owners of Liberty Oil in its 50% sale to Viva Energy.
- Acting for Arena Investment Management in the sale (by trust scheme) of the Arena Property Fund to KKR.
- Acting for APN Property Group in the $300m IPO and listing of Industria REIT.
- Acting for Bendigo and Adelaide Bank in numerous commercial transactions, including wealth business acquisition and community bank transactions
- Acting for AXA Asia Pacific in numerous corporate and acquisition transactions, the establishment of the ‘North’ ordinary money capital guaranteed product.
- Acting for Tony and Maureen Wheeler (founding shareholders) and interests associated with John Singleton/Mark Carnegie in the sale of Lonely Planet Publications to BBC Worldwide.
- Acting for the responsible entity and fund manager in the proposed Pacific Retail REIT IPO, which involved the potential acquisition of five sub-regional shopping centres and a $370 million capital raising (not completed).
- Acting for APN Funds Management in the IPO and ASX listing of the APN/UKA European Retail Trust and the Trust’s two subsequent non-renounceable accelerated rights offers.
- Acting for the APN Property Group in its IPO and ASX listing.
- Acting for Grocon Property Trust Australia in its establishment and initial capital raising
- Acting in relation to the establishment of and capital raising by numerous wholesale and retail funds.
- Acting for the Marriner Theatre Group in relation to its restructure and refinancing.
- Acting for the Mathis Group in the sale of its interests in the Transport and Upper/Lower House restaurant businesses in Melbourne.
- Acting in numerous private equity transactions.
- Acting on the sale of Sweeny Research to Ernst & Young.
- Acting for BDO Melbourne on its sale to Deloitte.
- Acting in the 50% sale of Liberty Oil to Viva Energy.