Our Environment & Sustainability Policy
We recognise that our community and environment faces real and pressing challenges and that we have an important part to play in helping to confront these challenges.
We are working towards a sustainable future by:
- using natural resources responsibly to minimise the environmental impact of our business
- continually striving to improve our environmental performance through staff training and involvement with community bodies
- identifying and managing environmental risks and applying best-practice principles to address those risks and
- reducing our consumption of energy and paper.
Our goal is to significantly reduce the production of greenhouse gases, the depletion of natural resources and the generation of non-recyclable waste from our business operations.
We are a member of the Australian Legal Sector Alliance (AusLSA). AusLSA is an inclusive alliance of law firms that work collaboratively to promote sustainable practices across the legal sector.
In 2009, our environmental performance was measured by a sustainability and carbon report from an independent third party (Greenpass). We have carried out the vast majority of the recommendations made in the Greenpass report.
Some examples of our progress in working towards a sustainable future are:
- In the 2011/12 financial year, each of our employees generated 2.66 tonnes1 of CO2 emissions, which is a good result compared with our peers.
- We reduced our total CO2 emissions in the 2011/12 financial year by about 4%.
- We offset over 20% of the emissions caused by the electricity we buy.
- 71% of all the paper we use is 100% post-consumer-recycled paper.
- To encourage our staff to use bikes instead of taxis for short-distance travel, we provide them with access to the Melbourne Bike Share Scheme (including helmets).
1According to the AusLSA Environment Consumption Calculator and not taking 20% electricty offset into account.