Our graduate program is a priority for us because we recognise that today’s Law Graduates are tomorrow’s leaders of the firm. Over the years, the program has proven to be highly successful – many of our current partners completed their graduate year with us.
We run graduate programs in both our Melbourne and Sydney offices. Our programs offer graduates the opportunity to work with great people at all levels and do real work for real clients.
In Melbourne we offer Supervised Workplace Training (SWT) – this is one of the ways we are different from other mid and top-tier firms, as many of these firms enrol their graduates in Practical Legal Training (PLT) courses. We strongly believe that offering our Law Graduates extensive on-the-job training with SWT equips them with the skills, firm knowledge and practical experience they need.
In Sydney we offer law graduates a one year structured program with the combination of extensive on-the-job training and support and assistance in completing compulsory PLT requirements. This combination of external and internal training gives our graduates real hands on experience and equips them with the tools and skills they need to become successful lawyers.
We offer our Law Graduates:
- induction – Law Graduates undertake an extensive induction to prepare them for the year ahead;
- opportunity to gain experience in many of our practice areas through our rotations (4 x 3 months in Melbourne) – this helps Law Graduates make an informed decision about which area they may be interested in practising in following the graduate year;
- extensive support network, including a buddy to assist with the transition from university to full-time employment, a mentor in each rotation and a Supervisor (Partner) to provide guidance throughout the year;
- regular learning opportunities – these include lunchtime training sessions facilitated by Partners and Senior Lawyers who share their personal experiences, discuss their practice areas and provide technical training;
- ongoing feedback, both formal and informal; and
- last but by no means least, an opportunity for Law Graduates to immerse themselves in our great culture and have fun!
To apply for our Sydney law graduate role please click here.
Seasonal clerkship program
Each year, we run two seasonal clerkships – winter and summer. Our seasonal clerkship program gives students the opportunity to experience life at Hall & Wilcox and allows us to get to know the students.
We offer our Seasonal Clerks:
- three-week seasonal clerkship;
- an induction which provides information and training to enable Seasonal Clerks to successfully complete their clerkship with us;
- placement in one of our practice areas, with opportunities to make a contribution and get amongst it;
- extensive support network, including a buddy, a mentor and a Supervising Partner;
- exposure to real work on real files – this may include drafting correspondence and documents, observing lawyers in meetings, conferences and mediations or at court, and undertaking research tasks;
- opportunities to attend firm and practice area professional development sessions, and participate in training sessions for Seasonal Clerks; and
- an invaluable opportunity for students wanting to experience life as a lawyer at Hall & Wilcox.
Sydney, Newcastle, Perth and Canberra
We currently do not run a formal seasonal clerkship program in Sydney, Newcastle, Perth and Canberra.
What are we looking for?
Generally, we look for candidates with previous work experience (legal and/or non-legal), consistent and strong academic results, good communication and interpersonal skills, and varied outside interests.
In addition, we are specifically interested in candidates with any of the following:
- Business/commercial education and/or experience.
- Experience, education or an interest in technology/innovation.
- Project management training or experience.
- Language skills
Seasonal Clerkship – Summer, 2016 and Winter, 2017
- Applications Open – Monday 11 July 2016
- Applications Close – Sunday 14 August 2016 at 11.59pm
- Interviews commence – September 2016
- Offers – Tuesday 11 October 2016 at 10.00am
Hall & Wilcox are a signatory to the LIV Seasonal Clerkship and LIV Traineeship Guidelines.
Graduate Program 2017
- Applications Open – Tuesday 1 March 2016
- Applications Close – Friday 15 April 2016 at 5.00pm
- Interviews commence – Monday 9 May 2016
- Offers – Friday 10 June 2016
- Offers for Graduate positions must be accepted or declined by – Friday 17 June 2016 at 5.00pm